Case marker

From Glottopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The term case marker is sometimes used as a cover term for cases and adpositions, in the same sense as flag (e.g. Kilby 1981, Croft 2003).

  • "Relational morphemes are called case markers; bound relational morphemes are called case affixes, and free relational morphemes are called adpositions (prepositions precede and postpositions follow)." (Croft 2003:33-34)


Case marker can also mean 'marker that marks case (in the narrow sense)'.


  • flag
  • relational morpheme (Croft 2003:33)


  • Croft, William. 2003. Typology and universals. 2nd edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
  • Kilby, David. 1981. "On case markers." Lingua 54:101-133.

Other languages