(i) John is easy to please
(ii) *Johni is easy [CP PRO to please ei ]
However, such an analysis is excluded, either as a case of improper movement, or as a binding violation. As a solution it has been proposed that John in (i) is an argument of the adjective easy, and that the CP is a modifying adjunct:
(iii) Johni is easy [CP Oi [PRO to please ei ]]
- Berman, A. 1974. Adjectives and Adjective Complement Constructions, diss. Harvard University.
- Brody, M. 1993. Theta-theory and arguments, Linguistic Inquiry 24, 1-23
- Chomsky, N. 1993. A Minimalist Program for Linguistic Theory, MIT occasional papers in linguistics, 1-67. Reprinted in: Chomsky (1995).
- Chomsky, N. 1981. Lectures on Government and Binding, Foris, Dordrecht.
- Pesetsky, D. 1987. Binding Problems with Experiencer Verbs, Linguisitc Inquiry 18-1, 126-140
- Postal, P. 1971. Cross-over phenomena, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York.
|CAT|| This article needs proper categorization. You can help Glottopedia by categorizing it|
Please do not remove this block until the problem is fixed.