Mispronunciations or speech errors can be divided into different types.
- anticipations: 'a leading list' (for 'a reading list')
- perseverations: 'at the beginning of the burn' (for 'at the beginning of the turn')
- reversals or spoonerisms: 'heft lemisphere' (for 'left hemisphere')
- (Examples are taken from Fromkin 1973)
- Fromkin, Victoria A. (ed.) 1973. Speech errors as linguistic evidence. The Hangue: Mouton.
- Fromkin, Victoria A. 1973. 'Slips of the tongue', Scientific American 229, 1973, 114.
- Fromkin, Victoria A. (ed.) 1980. Errors in linguistic performance: Slips of the tongue, ear, pend and hand. New York: Academic Press.