Move alpha is a most general formulation of possible movements. In effect, Move alpha says that some category alpha can be moved anytime anywhere. It generalizes rules such as Move NP and Move wh, which in their turn generalize construction specific transformations such as Passivization and Raising. Move alpha itself is considered an instance of Affect alpha.
- Chomsky, N. 1986b. Barriers, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- Chomsky, N. 1980. On binding, Linguistic Inquiry 11-1, pp.1-46
- Chomsky, N. 1981. Lectures on Government and Binding, Foris, Dordrecht.
- Chomsky, N. 1977b. On Wh-movement, in: P.W. Culicover, T. Wasw and A. akmajian (eds.) Formal syntax, Academic Press, San Francisco, London.
- Lasnik, H. and M. Saito 1992. Move alpha: conditions on its application and output, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- Lasnik, H. and M. Saito 1984. On the nature of proper government, Linguistic Inquiry 15, pp. 235-289
German Bewege α